Turnip Hash with Broccoli Rabe
Return to Healthy Cruciferous Vegetable Menu.
Photography: Sang An
Martha Stewart Living, November 2003
- 1/2 pound plum tomatoes
- 1/2 pound medium turnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 pound parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 pound Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 6 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon coarsely chopped fresh thyme
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Prepare an ice bath; set aside. Score an X on the bottom of each tomato with a paring knife. Add tomatoes to the pot. Boil until skins are loosened, about 30 seconds; remove tomatoes with a slotted spoon (keeping water at a boil), and immediately plunge them into the ice bath. Drain, peel, and seed tomatoes, then coarsely chop flesh.
- Add turnips to pot; boil until just tender when pierced with a fork, 3 to 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the turnips to a colander to drain. Repeat process with parsnips, then potatoes. Add broccoli rabe to pot, and boil until bright green and crisp-tender, about 1 minute. Drain in colander; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add onion, garlic, salt, red-pepper flakes, thyme, and reserved turnips, parsnips, and potatoes; spread evenly to cover bottom of skillet. Cook, without stirring, until vegetables begin to brown on bottom, about 15 minutes.
- Add reserved tomatoes and broccoli rabe to skillet. Stir once; cook until vegetables are very tender and browned, about 25 minutes. Serve hot.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.