Creamy Orange Rice Pudding
This dish is best when prepared a few hours ahead and served at room temperature.
Martha Stewart Living, December/January 1994/1995
- 6 oranges
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 whole cinnamon stick
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, or 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/3 cup whole blanched almonds
- Grate the zest from 1 orange. Slice this and 1 other orange in half; squeeze out juice. Combine zest and juice in a saucepan, and add rice, sugar, 5 cups water, cinnamon stick, and vanilla. Bring mixture to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until almost all the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Stir several times, return cover, and let stand for about 15 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl, cover with a clean towel, and let cool.
- Using a sharp knife, remove the peel and pith from remaining oranges. Carefully cut out segments, and discard seeds. Set aside.
- Just before serving, whip cream until stiff. Fold cream, almonds, and all but 10 of the orange segments into rice mixture. Transfer pudding to a large bowl, and garnish with reserved orange segments.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.