Mini Jam Tarts
Use whatever jam you like as the filling for these little tarts.
Martha Stewart Living, March 1996
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 cup jam, in assorted flavors
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor, combine flour, sugar, salt, and cinnamon; process for 10 seconds. Add butter and process until mixture resembles coarse meal, 15 to 20 seconds.
- Combine 1 egg yolk with 2 tablespoons ice water and add to flour mixture. Process until the dough comes together, about 7 seconds. Transfer to a clean work surface and compress into a flattened circle.
- Lightly dust the work surface with flour; roll out dough to just thinner than 1/4 inch. Using a round or square cookie cutter, cut out shapes and press into 2- to 3-inch tartlet tins or a small muffin-top pan. Shape crust as desired, fill each with 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons jam, and decorate tops with cutouts of dough. At this point, the tarts can be refrigerated for several hours.
- Combine remaining egg yolk with cream; lightly brush exposed dough with egg wash. Bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer tarts from tins to a wire rack to cool.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.