Parmesan Cheese Straws
This savory recipe for parmesan cheese straws is adapted from Martha Stewart's "Hors d'Oeuvres Handbook."
The Martha Stewart Show, September 2006
Yield Makes about 1 dozen
- 1 3/4 cups finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 package (14 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Sprinkle work surface with 1/2 cup cheese. Place chilled puff pastry on work surface and roll out until it is about 1/8 inch thick. Trim to a 14-by-16-inch rectangle. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and 3/4 cup of the cheese.
- With the long side facing you, fold in half by bringing the top edge down toward you. Sprinkle with remaining teaspoon salt and 1/2 cup cheese. Using a pizza wheel or a very sharp knife, cut the dough horizontally into 1/2-inch-wide strips. Divide strips between two baking sheets, placing them evenly apart. Holding each end of a dough strip with your fingers, carefully stretch and twist the strip in opposite directions. Repeat process with remaining strips.
- Bake until golden brown, 12 to 14 minutes. Let straws cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.