Chicken and Mango Summer Rolls
Rice noodles, chicken, and mango, make up the filling of these Vietnamese-inspired summer rolls. Firm vermicelli rice noodles are commonly added to summer rolls, but rolls can be made without them. Experiment with different fresh fillings and flavor combinations.
Everyday Food, July 2010
- 1 package (4 ounces) vermicelli rice noodles
- 8-inch spring roll wrappers
- 3 fresh chives (optional)
- Creamy Peanut Dipping Sauce (http://www.marthastewart.com/284715/creamy-peanut-dipping-sauce)
- Spicy Hoisin Dipping Sauce (http://www.marthastewart.com/284454/spicy-hoisin-dipping-sauce)
For the Filling
- 4 ounces chicken cutlets, cooked and shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 medium carrot, cut into matchsticks (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 small ripe mango, peeled and thinly sliced
- Pour boiling water over noodles and soak 15 minutes. Drain and rinse. Divide into 8 equal portions. Fill a wide, shallow bowl with cool water. Working with one spring-roll wrapper at a time, soak until pliable, 20 seconds. Transfer to a flat surface and smooth.
- Place a layer of filling on bottom third of wrapper, leaving a 1 1/2-inch border. Top with a portion of noodles and another layer of filling.
- Fold bottom of wrapper tightly over filling.
- Roll over once, tuck in sides, and finish rolling. If desired, add fresh chives and continue rolling to enclose them. Transfer roll to a plate and cover with a slightly damp paper towel. Repeat to make 8 summer rolls. Serve immediately with dipping sauces, or refrigerate, up to 2 hours.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.