Horseradish Mashed Potatoes
To ensure that the potatoes arrive at the table hot, mash them in a bowl set over simmering water.
Martha Stewart Living, April 2000
- 2 pounds Yukon gold or russet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 cup milk, or cream
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated horseradish, to taste
- Peel and cut potatoes into 1 1/2-inch-thick slices. Place in a saucepan. Cover with cold water; add 1 tablespoon salt. Simmer until a knife easily pierces potatoes, about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, fill another saucepan with water; bring to a simmer.
- Place milk in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Place a heatproof bowl over the pan of simmering water.
- Drain potatoes, and press through a potato ricer or food mill into the bowl, or mash in the bowl with a potato masher until smooth. Using a whisk, add butter, and blend until incorporated. Drizzle in hot milk, whisking constantly. Add pepper, and salt to taste. Add horseradish to taste, and mix until smooth. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.