Mixing shredded potato into the topping gives this dish a tasty, crunchy crust.
Martha Stewart Living, September 1999
- 4 small yellow tomatoes
- 4 small red tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated on the large holes of a box grater
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small baking potato
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Slice and discard the stem and top of each tomato; arrange the tomatoes in a baking dish. Season with salt and pepper, and drizzle with olive oil.
- Combine grated cheese and garlic in a small bowl. Peel potato, and grate on the large holes of the box grater. Squeeze out moisture, and toss with cheese mixture. Season with nutmeg, and sprinkle mixture over tomatoes, creating an even covering.
- Place in oven, and bake until tomatoes are soft and crust is golden and crisp, 20 to 25 minutes, depending on the tomatoes' ripeness. Remove from oven, and serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.