Pork Burgers with Peppers
Try a new burger alternative with this pork burger, a take on Italian sausage and peppers.
Everyday Food, July/August 2010
- 1 pound ground pork
- 3/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella
- 4 toasted buns
- Heat a grill to medium-high. Clean and lightly oil hot grill. In a bowl, mix pork with fennel seeds. Form into 4 patties. On a large piece of foil, combine oil, peppers, and onion. Season with salt and pepper. Fold foil around vegetables and crimp ends. Grill packet until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 8 minutes. Season patties with salt and pepper. Grill until cooked through, about 6 minutes per side.
- In a medium bowl, toss vegetables with vinegar. Top each patty with vegetables and a slice of mozzarella. Cover grill and cook until cheese is bubbling, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve burgers on toasted buns.
Indoor method: In an oiled grill pan or cast-iron skillet, cook vegetables over medium-high. Wipe skillet clean; cook burgers in same pan.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.