How to Saute Fish
Chef Tom Colicchio shared his technique for how to saute fish as part of our Chefs' Secrets series.
The Martha Stewart Show, February Winter 2007
- Fish fillet (such as red snapper), skin on
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- Using a skillet that is just large enough to hold fish, add enough oil to coat the bottom of the skillet; place over medium heat. Pat fish dry with paper towels and season skin side with salt and pepper.
- Place fish in skillet, skin side down, and let cook about 7 minutes. Do not touch fish. Season flesh side with salt and pepper. If skin begins to curl, lightly tap down on fish, pressing skin flat against the skillet.
- Gently turn fish over and continue cooking, flesh side down, until just cooked through.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.