Screamin' Mean Greens
This recipe adapted from "LaBelle Cuisine" by Patti LaBelle (Broadway; 1999).
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 5 pounds assorted greens (such as collard, kale, mustard, and turnip greens), rinsed, tough stems discarded, and torn into large pieces
- One 1 1/2-pound smoked turkey wing
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a large pot, combine onions, 2 cups water, oil, and jalapenos, if using; bring to a boil over high heat. In batches, stir in greens, allowing greens to wilt between each addition. Add turkey wing, covering it with greens. Season with salt and pepper. Cover, reducing heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, just until greens are tender, about 30 minutes; do not overcook greens.
- Remove turkey wing from pot. Pull off meat, discarding skin and bones; chop, and stir into pot. Using a slotted spoon, transfer greens to a serving dish. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.