Martha Stewart Living, November 2001
- 5 large eggs
- 1/4 pound string beans, ends trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 red onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice (1 cup)
- 3/4 cup toasted walnuts
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Bread or crackers, for serving
- Fill a large bowl with ice and water; set aside. Place eggs in a medium saucepan with enough water to cover by 2 inches. Place over high heat; bring to a boil. Turn off heat; cover. Let stand for 12 minutes. Transfer eggs to ice bath to stop cooking. When eggs are cool, peel under cold running water, cut into quarters, and set aside. Let cooking water return to a boil; blanch string beans for 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to ice bath to stop the cooking.
- Melt butter in a medium saute pan over medium heat. Add onion; cook until caramelized, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat; cool to room temperature.
- Combine eggs, beans, walnuts, soy sauce, mayonnaise, and oil in bowl of a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped but not pureed. Stir in sauteed onion and chives; season with salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature with bread or crackers.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.