These easy meatless burgers are prepared with bulgur wheat, canned pinto beans, grated carrots, and Swiss cheese. Cook the patties in a skillet and serve on buns for a tasty and protein-packed vegetarian meal.
Everyday Food, July/August 2010
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup grated Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup finely grated carrots (from 2 medium carrots)
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 buns
- Sprouts, for serving
- Avocado slices, for serving
- In a large bowl, combine bulgur and 1 cup boiling water. Cover tightly and let sit until bulgur is tender, 30 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve, pressing to remove liquid, then return bulgur to bowl. In a food processor, pulse pinto beans until coarsely chopped. Add beans to bulgur, along with Swiss cheese, carrots, scallion, and egg. Season with salt and pepper; mix well.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium. Add 1/2 cup bean mixture and press lightly with a spatula to flatten. Make 3 more patties, working in batches if necessary (add more oil for second batch), and cook until browned and cooked through, 3 minutes per side. Serve burgers on buns with sprouts and avocado slices.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.