Grilled onions, a fried egg, and canned beet slices are key ingredients in the sky-high Aussie burger.
Everyday Food, July/August 2010
- 1 small yellow onion
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef chuck (80% lean)
- 4 split plain or sesame-seed buns
- 4 large eggs, cooked over easy
- Ketchup or barbecue sauce
- Sliced canned beets
- Lettuce leaves
- Heat a grill to medium-high. Clean and lightly oil hot grill. Cut onion into thin rings and season with salt and pepper. Grill until lightly charred and crisp-tender, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Form ground beef into 4 patties and season with salt and pepper. Grill 4 minutes per side for medium. Transfer to bottom halves of buns. Top each burger with an egg, grilled onions, your choice of sauce, sliced beets, and lettuce.
Indoor Method: In an oiled grill pan or cast-iron skillet, cook onion over medium-high. Wipe skillet clean; cook burgers in same pan.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.