Spoon this cool salad, sent to us from Harriet Goldman of Great Neck, New York, over endive or another crisp lettuce such as romaine.
Everyday Food, April 2004
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1 1/4 cups brown lentils, rinsed
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, if desired, and diced (2 cups)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- In a small saucepan, cover lentils with water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until lentils are tender but still holding their shape, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, place eggs in a small saucepan; cover with cold water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil; remove from heat and cover. Let stand 12 minutes. Drain, and rinse under cold water. Peel eggs; chop roughly.
- In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar and oil. Add lentils, cucumber, parsley, and onion; season with salt and pepper. Toss well to coat with dressing. Let cool to room temperature, or serve chilled, topped with chopped eggs.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.