Sweet Pickled Wax Beans
Green beans, cauliflower, carrots, or beets also work well for pickling with this recipe.
Everyday Food, July/August 2010
- 1 pound wax beans, trimmed
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 4 cups white-wine vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- In two quart-size glass jars, arrange beans upright and place 2 sprigs thyme in each jar. In a small saucepan, bring vinegar, sugar, garlic, fennel seeds, coriander seeds, mustard seeds, peppercorns, and 1 cup water to a boil over medium-high. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
- Pour cooled brine over beans, leaving a 1/2-inch space at top of each jar; seal and refrigerate at least 3 days before serving.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.