Israeli Couscous Salad with Grilled Summer Vegetables
Try serving this Israeli couscous salad with grilled summer vegetables alongside crisp sauteed soft-shell crabs -- all recipes from chef Alfred Portale -- for a delicious summer meal your whole family will enjoy.
The Martha Stewart Show, July 2007
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 1 medium yellow squash, halved lengthwise
- 1 Japanese eggplant, halved lengthwise
- 1 medium red onion, halved and sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rings
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for vegetables
- 1 1/4 cups Israeli couscous
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground sumac
- 1 cup small grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced basil
- Preheat a grill pan over medium heat. Season zucchini, squash, eggplant, onion, and red pepper with salt and pepper. Lightly brush vegetables with oil.
- Place zucchini and squash on grill pan and cook, turning once, 3 minutes per side; transfer to a plate. Place eggplant on grill pan and cook, turning once, until nicely caramelized and tender, about 4 minutes per side; transfer to plate with zucchini and squash. Place onion on grill pan and cook, turning once, 4 minutes per side; transfer to plate with zucchini, squash, and eggplant.
- Place red pepper on grill and cook until all sides are charred, about 10 minutes. Place the pepper in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap; let steam 10 to 15 minutes. Remove pepper from bowl and peel using a paring knife. Cut pepper in half, remove stem and discard seeds; transfer pepper to plate with zucchini, squash, eggplant, and onion.
- Cut all vegetables into bite-size pieces; set aside.
- Bring a large pot filled with water to a boil over high heat. Add salt and return to a boil. Add couscous and cook until al dente, 7 to 8 minutes. Drain and place couscous in a large serving bowl; toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add grilled vegetables, tomatoes, parsley, and basil; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together lemon juice, garlic, and sumac powder. Slowly whisk in remaining 1/4 cup oil; season with salt and pepper. Drizzle over couscous salad and gently toss to combine; season with salt and pepper.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.