Maple Bourbon Pecan Pie
Martha Stewart Living, November 1999
Yield Makes 1 nine-inch pie
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- Pâte Brisée (Pie Dough) Pate Brisee (http://www.marthastewart.com/254603/pate-brisee-pie-dough)
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 large whole eggs
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons bourbon, or dark rum
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (5 1/4 ounces) pecan halves
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Whipped cream, (optional)
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8 inch thick. Transfer to a 9-inch pie tin, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang. Fold overhang under evenly. Using a paring knife, carefully cut out leaves from scraps of dough. Gently score leaves with the back of the knife to create veins. Place leaves on a baking sheet. Transfer lined pie tin and leaves to refrigerator. Chill for at least 30 minutes
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, butter, 4 whole eggs, corn syrup, maple syrup, bourbon, and vanilla. Fold in half the pecan halves. Pour filling into pie shell; arrange remaining pecan halves on top of pie.
- Score the outer rim of pie. Beat 1 egg yolk, and brush over hatch marks. Adhere the leaves to the dough in a decorative pattern. Chill the pie for 30 minutes. Mix 2 tablespoons heavy cream with remaining egg yolk. Brush the egg glaze over the leaves, and transfer pie to the oven.
- Bake 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees. Bake until a knife tip comes out clean, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.