Mixed-Beet Salad with Curry Vinaigrette
Red, yellow, and Chiogga beets combine in this fantastic salad from chef Daniel Humm of Eleven Madison Park.
The Martha Stewart Show, September 2009
- 1 pound medium red beets, washed and dried
- 1 pound medium Chiogga beets, washed and dried
- 1 pound medium yellow beets, washed and dried
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup white-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Freshly ground pepper
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- Curry Vinaigrette (http://www.marthastewart.com/258217/curry-vinaigrette)
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place beets in a large bowl; add olive oil, vinegar, salt, and sugar. Season with pepper and toss to combine. Wrap each beet individually in parchment paper-lined aluminum foil, with some of the olive oil mixture and a sprig of thyme. Transfer to oven and roast until tender, about 2 1/2 hours.
- Remove foil and let cool slightly before peeling. Using an apple corer, cut each beet into as many cylinder shapes as possible. Alternatively, cut beets into quarters. Place each variety of beet in individual bowls and toss each with some of the vinaigrette.
- Using the julienne blade on a mandoline, carefully julienne apple.
- Divide beets evenly between 4 serving plates. If beets are cylindrical, stand beets up on plate. Garnish with apple slices and drizzle with remaining vinaigrette. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.