English Toffee Pecan Pie
This mouthwatering recipe from audience member Marjorie Johnson took home the blue ribbon at our first pie contest.
The Martha Stewart Show, November 2009
Yield Makes one 9-inch pie
For the Crust
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold leaf lard, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
For the Filling
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light-brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup toffee bits
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 22 pecan halves, for garnish
- Make the crust: In a large bowl, whisk together flour and salt. Using a pastry cutter, cut in lard and butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs, about the size of peas. Sprinkle with water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and mix lightly with a fork after each addition, until mixture is moistened. Turn out dough onto a clean work surface and shape into a flattened disk. Wrap in plastic; transfer to refrigerator and chill for 30 minutes.
- Lightly flour a pastry cloth and roll out dough on cloth, using a covered rolling pin, to a 12-inch round, about 1/8-inch thick. With a dry pastry brush, sweep off excess flour; fit dough into a 9-inch glass pie plate. Trim to a 1/2-inch overhang all around. Fold under and crimp edges.
- Make the filling: Preheat oven with a rack set in the lower third to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, mix together eggs, corn syrup, brown sugar, butter, salt, vanilla, almond extract, toffee bits, and chopped pecans.
- Pour filling into pie crust. Top with pecans by evenly spacing 14 of them around the outer edge of pie filling. Make a second row by evenly spacing seven pecans in a smaller circle in the center; place 1 pecan in center.
- Transfer pie to oven; bake for 20 minutes. Cover with parchment paper-lined aluminum foil and continue baking until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 to 30 minutes more. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.