Pistachio Pound Cake with Drippy Icing
We have updated the standard loaf with a few additions. Cream cheese makes the cake wonderfully moist, while ground pistachios lend the batter a distinct nutty flavor and faint green tinge. Drizzled with icing and sprinkled with pistachio slivers, this cake couldn't be more appropriate for the season.
Martha Stewart Living, May 2007
- Vegetable-oil cooking spray
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup salted shelled pistachios, ground to a paste in a food processor
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped salted pistachios
- Drippy Icing (http://www.marthastewart.com/281571/drippy-icing)
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted pistachio slivers
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Coat two 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-inch loaf pans with cooking spray. Line with parchment; spray parchment, and dust with flour, tapping out excess.
- With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter, cream cheese, and pistachio paste until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to medium-low. Gradually add sugar; beat until smooth. Scrape down side of bowl. Beat in eggs, one at a time, and vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Add flour and salt; beat until just combined. Fold in chopped pistachios.
- Divide batter among pans; smooth tops. Bake until a cake tester inserted into centers comes out clean, about 1 hour 35 minutes. Let cool in pans 20 minutes. Unmold, and remove parchment. Let cool. Cakes can be wrapped well in plastic and stored at room temperature for up to 1 day.
- Drizzle cakes with icing, and sprinkle with pistachio slivers.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.