- <b>For the semifreddo:</b>
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 9 large egg yolks plus 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 5 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 3/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon coffee extract, such as Trablit (<a href="http://www.lepicerie.com/catalog/index.html" target=_"blank">lepicerie.com</a>)
- <b>For the hot milk foam:</b>
- 3 cups whole milk or heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder, for dusting
- Make the semifreddo: Heat
milk and 1/4 cup sugar in a medium
saucepan over medium
heat until it just begins to boil.
Meanwhile, whisk 1/4 cup sugar
with the egg yolks in a bowl.
- Slowly pour hot milk mixture
into yolk mixture, whisking constantly.
Return entire mixture
to saucepan, and heat until mixture
is thick and coats the back
of a spoon, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and add
chocolate. Whisk until melted.
Strain mixture into a bowl, and
let cool completely.
- Whisk cream in a large bowl
until soft peaks form. Whisk in
- Whisk egg whites with a mixer
on medium-high speed, gradually
adding the remaining
1/2 cup sugar, until medium stiff
peaks form, about 5 minutes.
- Working quickly, fold chocolate
mixture into whipped cream, and then fold in the egg
whites. Transfer semifreddo
into twelve 6-ounce cups, filling
each about three-quarters full.
Freeze for at least 4 hours.
- Just before serving, make the
hot milk foam: Froth milk using
an electric frother, or transfer to
a glass jar, seal, and shake vigorously
for 30 seconds. Warm
frothed milk in the microwave.
Spoon dollops of foam onto each
semifreddo, and dust with cocoa.
Semifreddi can be frozen for up to 3 days. Top with
hot foam just before serving.