Penne with Tuna Puttanesca
This recipe for a delicious Italian simple supper is courtesy of actor Joe Pantoliano.
The Martha Stewart Show, October Fall 2007
- Coarse salt
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for water
- 1 pound whole wheat penne
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can (2 ounces) anchovies, packed in oil, minced
- 1/2 cup capers, rinsed and drained
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, pitted
- 2 cans (13 3/4 ounces each) artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 2 jars (26 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 pound fresh albacore tuna, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Freshly grated Pecorino-Romano cheese, for serving
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add salt and drizzle with oil; return to a boil. Add pasta, stirring, until water returns to a boil. Cook until al dente, according to package directions.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/4 cup oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook until lightly browned and fragrant, about 1 minute. Add anchovies and cook, stirring and mashing with the back of a spoon, about 1 minute. Add capers, celery, olives, and artichokes; cook, stirring, about 1 minute. Add tomato sauce and cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce has thickened, 5 to 10 minutes.
- In a medium nonstick skillet, heat remaining tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add tuna and cook until browned on all sides. Transfer tuna to sauce and continue to cook until heated through, about 8 to 10 minutes. Season with red pepper flakes.
- Drain pasta and add to sauce; stir to combine. Transfer to a large serving platter and serve immediately with freshly grated cheese.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.