- 2 pounds Idaho potatoes
- Coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon chana dal (split chickpeas)
- 2 tablespoons cashew nuts, roughly chopped
- 1 one-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 sprig fresh curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon Madras curry powder
- 1 pinch chile powder
- 1 pinch turmeric
- 1 pinch ground coriander
- 1/3 cup peas, cooked
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander, chopped
- In a large saucepan, place potatoes, 1 teaspoon salt, and water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until fork-tender. Drain, peel, and cut potatoes into 1/4-inch pieces.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mustard seeds, chana dal, cashews, ginger, garlic, onions and curry leaves. Saute until onions are soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add curry powder, chile powder, turmeric, and ground coriander. Cook for 1 minute. Add peas and potatoes. Add 2 tablespoons water, and cook until heated through. Season with salt, and add chopped coriander. Use as a filling for dosa.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.