- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 5-pound beef chuck roast
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups beef stock or reduced sodium canned beef broth
- 1/2 cup red wine (optional)
- 3 onions, cut into large wedges
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 pounds carrots, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 pounds potatoes, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sprinkle roast all over with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Place in pan, and brown on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Turn meat fat side up. Add stock, wine, if using, onions, garlic, bay leaves, and thyme. Stir in tomato paste. Bring to a simmer, cover; put in the oven, and roast for 3 hours. Add carrots and potatoes, and cook until vegetables are tender, about 1 hour more.
- Transfer the roast, carrots, and potatoes to a platter. With a spoon, skim the fat off the surface of the cooking liquid. Cut the roast into thick slices, and serve with the vegetables. Pass the pan juices separately.
Browning the meat makes the whole dish tastier and gives the pan juices an appetizing deep brown color.