Southern-Style Pan-Fried Catfish
Emeril prepared this catfish recipe from his new book, "Emeril 20-40-60," as part of a live cooking challenge on "The Martha Stewart Show." He also made Simple Turkey Meatloaf and Chicken Cordon Bleu.
The Martha Stewart Show, November 2009
- Prep Time 12 minutes
- Total Time 20 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon Emeril's Original Essence or Creole Seasoning (http://www.marthastewart.com/261674/creole-seasoning)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons Louisiana hot sauce or other red hot sauce
- 4 (6- to 8-ounce) skinless catfish fillets
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil, for frying
- Emeril's Kicked-Up Tartar Sauce (http://www.marthastewart.com/256587/emerils-kicked-up-tartar-sauce), for serving (optional)
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Whisk together buttermilk, mustard, Essence, garlic, and hot sauce in a small bowl. Place fillets in a shallow baking dish just large enough to hold them in an even layer. Pour buttermilk mixture over fish, making sure each fillet is evenly coated; set aside.
- In another shallow baking dish, whisk together flour, cornmeal, and salt.
- Working with 1 piece of fish at a time, remove from buttermilk mixture, shaking off any excess, and dredge in flour mixture to coat. Transfer to a plate and repeat process with remaining fillets.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, carefully add two fillets to skillet. Cook, until golden brown and crisp, about 4 minutes. Turn and continue cooking until golden brown and crisp on the second side, 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Using a fish spatula, transfer fillets to a paper towel-lined plate; repeat process with remaining 2 fillets. Serve immediately with tartar sauce, if desired, and lemon wedges.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.