Try Marlow & Sons' brick chicken for a hearty family meal.
The Martha Stewart Show, November 2009
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 (3 to 4 pound) chicken, halved, backbone, rib cage, and thigh bones removed
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup homemade or store-bought, low sodium chicken stock
- Thinly sliced heirloom tomatoes, for serving
- Heat oil in a 10-inch skillet over high heat. Season chicken generously with salt and pepper; add chicken to skillet, skin side-down and place a 10-inch heavy-bottomed skillet on top of chicken. Place two heavy soup cans or a brick in second skillet to weigh down.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook chicken until skin is golden brown and crisp, about 18 minutes. Remove top skillet and weights and turn chicken; pour off excess fat from skillet.
- Squeeze lemon juice over chicken and add stock. Cook until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the chicken thigh registers 160 degrees, about 3 minutes.
- Season tomatoes with salt and pepper and divide evenly between two plates. Place each chicken half on a plate and serve immediately with pan juices.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.