Mixiote de Pollo
Martha Stewart Living Television
- 6 ancho chiles
- 8 guajillo chiles
- 4 pasilla chiles
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt, plus more for soaking chiles
- 1/8 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/16 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 whole cloves
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 3 chicken drumsticks
- 3 chicken thighs
- 3 fresh avocado leaves
- Fresh tortillas, for serving
- In a dry, hot skillet, toast chiles over medium-high heat until pliable, 3 to 5 minutes; turn often to prevent burning. Remove seeds and veins from chiles, and discard. Soak each type of chile separately in enough hot, salted water to cover for about 20 minutes. Drain, and reserve liquid.
- Grind marjoram, cumin seeds, oregano, bay leaf, thyme, and cloves in a spice grinder.
- In batches, combine drained chiles, ground herbs, garlic, vinegar, 1/2 cup soaking liquid, and salt in a blender. Transfer to a large bowl. Add chicken, and marinate for at least 1 hour, preferably overnight.
- Cut three 16-by-16-inch parchment-paper squares. Place a drumstick, thigh, and an avocado leaf in the center of each square. Bring the four corners together, and tie with string. Place in a steamer, and steam over simmering water for 1 hour.
- To serve, remove string, and open parchment paper, folding under slightly. Serve with fresh, warm tortillas.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.