Spicy Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
This great cookie recipe was adapted from Martha Stewart Holiday Cookies, 2006.
The Martha Stewart Show, February Winter 2007
- Yield Makes about 1 dozen
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
- 3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon finely ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon good quality instant espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Chocolate Whipped Cream (http://www.marthastewart.com/257103/chocolate-whipped-cream)
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, salt, pepper, espresso powder, and cinnamon in a large bowl; set aside.
- Put butter and granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Mix in egg, milk, and vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture; mix until just combined. Divide dough in half and wrap each piece with plastic wrap; refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll out dough 1/4 inch thick on a lightly floured surface. Brush any excess flour off dough with a dry pastry brush. Cut dough using a 2 1/2-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter. Transfer heart shapes to baking sheets lined with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat, spacing 1 inch apart.
- Bake cookies until there is a slight resistance when you lightly touch the centers, about 10 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
- Fill a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch plain tip with the chocolate whipped cream. Pipe cream onto half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.