This recipe is courtesy of Valentino.
The Martha Stewart Show
- 1 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 10 fresh parsley leaves
- Coarse salt
- 1 1/4 cups olive oil
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- Two 28-ounce cans whole peeled tomatoes, chopped
- 8 ounces onions, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 pound rigatoni
- Place pine nuts, Parmesan, parsley, pinch of salt, and 1 cup olive oil in the work bowl of a food processor; pulse until combined. Add basil, and continue to pulse until mixture is smooth; set aside.
- Heat remaining 1/4 cup oil in skillet over medium high heat. Add onions, carrot, celery and sugar; cook until softened about 6-8 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook until thickened, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil; add salt and return to a boil. Add pasta and cook, according to package directions. Drain pasta; set aside.
- Puree tomato mixture through a food mill into the pasta pot. Place pot over low heat and add pesto. Add pasta, and toss to combine. Serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.