Open-Faced Tuna Nicoise Sandwich
The tuna is sauteed only briefly, so ask your fishmonger to cut the steaks as uniformly as possible to ensure even cooking.
Photography: Anita Calero
Martha Stewart Living, October 1996
- 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup finely chopped Italian parsley
- 3 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons capers, finely chopped
- 4 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 half-inch-thick 5-ounce fresh tuna steaks
- 4 half-inch-thick slices peasant bread, toasted
- 2 bunches arugula (about 8 cups), stems trimmed to base of leaf
- Grate zest and squeeze juice from lemons; transfer both to a shallow, non-reactive dish large enough to hold tuna steaks. Stir in parsley, 3 tablespoons oil, capers, anchovies, and rosemary. Season with pepper. Coat tuna in marinade; let stand 1 hour, turning steaks several times.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil over high heat. Transfer tuna to skillet, reserving marinade. Sprinkle with salt; cook until golden brown outside, cooked to desired doneness inside, about 1 minute per side for medium rare. Place tuna on toast; set aside.
- Add arugula and 2 tablespoons reserved marinade to skillet; saute, tossing constantly, until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Divide arugula among sandwiches; top each with the tapenade.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.