Open-Faced Tuna Nicoise Sandwich
The tuna is sauteed only briefly, so ask your fishmonger to cut the steaks as uniformly as possible to ensure even cooking.
Martha Stewart Living, October 1996
- 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup finely chopped Italian parsley
- 3 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons capers, finely chopped
- 4 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 half-inch-thick 5-ounce fresh tuna steaks
- 4 half-inch-thick slices peasant bread, toasted
- 2 bunches arugula (about 8 cups), stems trimmed to base of leaf
- Grate zest and squeeze juice from lemons; transfer both to a shallow, non-reactive dish large enough to hold tuna steaks. Stir in parsley, 3 tablespoons oil, capers, anchovies, and rosemary. Season with pepper. Coat tuna in marinade; let stand 1 hour, turning steaks several times.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil over high heat. Transfer tuna to skillet, reserving marinade. Sprinkle with salt; cook until golden brown outside, cooked to desired doneness inside, about 1 minute per side for medium rare. Place tuna on toast; set aside.
- Add arugula and 2 tablespoons reserved marinade to skillet; saute, tossing constantly, until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Divide arugula among sandwiches; top each with the tapenade.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.