This recipe for cherry mojitos is adapted from Martha Stewart Living, July 2006.
The Martha Stewart Show, May Spring 2007
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups fresh lime juice (about 9 limes)
- 3 pounds dark cherries, such as Bing or Burlat, pitted
- 2 1/4 cups best-quality black cherry or plain vodka
- 1 (750 ml) bottle sparkling water
- Bring sugar and 1 1/4 cups water to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat; let cool completely. (Makes about 2 cups syrup.) Syrup can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to 1 month.
- Put lime juice into a medium nonreactive bowl. Halve 2/3 of the cherries; add all cherries to lime juice. Stir in syrup. Refrigerate at least 1 hour (up to overnight).
- Stir cherry mixture and vodka in a large serving bowl. Fill 12 glasses with ice. Spoon 1/2 cup cherry-vodka mixture into each glass. Top with sparkling water; serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.