Brussels Sprouts with Kimchi Puree and Bacon
Give standard brussels sprouts new appeal with this distinctive recipe from chef David Chang's "Momofuku" cookbook.
The Martha Stewart Show, November 2009
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, trimmed and outer leaves removed and discarded
- 1/4 pound smoky bacon, cut into 1-to-1 1/2-inch-long pieces
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup Napa Cabbage Kimchi (http://www.marthastewart.com/284153/napa-cabbage-kimchi), pureed
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup julienned carrots
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Halve brussels sprouts through core; set aside.
- Place bacon in a wide, ovenproof skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until almost crisp, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate; set aside.
- Drain most of the fat from skillet and add brussels sprouts, cut side-down. Increase heat to medium-high and cook until sprouts begin to sizzle. Transfer skillet to oven and roast until sprouts are deep brown in color, about 8 minutes. Shake skillet to redistribute sprouts, and continue roasting until bright green and tender, 10 to 15 minutes more.
- Return skillet to stovetop and turn heat to medium. Stir in butter and bacon; season with salt and pepper. Toss sprouts to coat.
- Divide kimchi among 4 shallow bowls, using the back of a spoon to spread out kimchi so it covers the bottom of each bowl. Divide brussels sprouts evenly among bowls, arranging on top of kimchi. Garnish with carrots and serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.