Figs Poached in Red Wine
You can also use poached figs in salad, thinly sliced over mesclun, sprinkled with a little blue cheese, and topped with toasted pecans.
Everyday Food, December 2005
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 20 minutes
- Serves 6
- 1 package (10 ounces) dried Calimyrna figs, (1 1/2 cups, packed)
- 1 bottle (3 cups) red wine
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Zest of 1 orange
- In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until figs are easily pierced with the tip of a sharp paring knife, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer figs to a bowl; simmer remaining liquid until reduced to about 1/3 cup, 3 to 5 minutes (liquid should look syrupy and coat the back of a spoon). Pour through a fine-mesh sieve over figs, and let cool slightly. (If refrigerating, bring to room temperature before serving.) Serve figs and syrup over ice cream or whipped ricotta cheese.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.