A No. 10 or 11 skillet will accommodate all of the chicken. Or use two small skillets.
Photography: BEATRIZ DA COSTA
Martha Stewart Living, October 1998
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 chicken breast halves, with bone in and skin on
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme or marjoram
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, cumin, and paprika, plus salt and pepper to taste. Rub chicken all over with the chili mix.
- Add olive oil to a large cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet, and swirl to cover bottom. Add onion rounds in a single layer, then thyme. Add chicken, skin side up. Transfer to oven, and bake until the chicken has cooked through, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Let chicken cool slightly. Using your fingers, remove the bones. Slice each breast, crosswise, into four or five pieces. Serve with the roasted onion rounds and thyme.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.