Beef Tenderloins with Mustard Sauce
Serve the steaks with an assortment of red and green lettuces dressed with a simple vinaigrette.
Martha Stewart Living, December/January 1993/1994
- 4 tenderloin steaks, 4 ounces each
- 3 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper, or to taste
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat steaks with pepper on both sides. Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium heat until very hot. Sear steaks for 5 minutes on each side, then transfer to oven to finish cooking, about 8 minutes for medium rare. Transfer to a plate to rest while you make the sauce.
- In the same skillet that steaks were cooked in, cook shallots in oil over medium heat until translucent, 6 minutes. Add brandy, and cook, stirring constantly, until reduced to 1 tablespoon, 1 minute. Stir in mustard and cream. Bring to a simmer and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve sauce alongside the steaks.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.