Meatloaf and Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
Our comforting menu of meatloaf and buttermilk mashed potatoes is as hearty as the diner original -- but better for you. Panko is sold in many international aisles; regular breadcrumbs can be swapped in, too.
Everyday Food, January 2009
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour
- 2 small carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/4 medium onion
- 1/4 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1 large egg white
- 3/4 pound ground beef sirloin
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/4 cup homemade or store-bought barbecue sauce
- 1 pound baking potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 pound green beans, stem ends removed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a food processor, chop carrots, celery, onion, and panko with egg white until smooth, about 1 minute. Transfer to a large bowl; mix in beef, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- On a foil-lined baking sheet, form meat mixture into a 6-inch-long loaf; brush with half the barbecue sauce. Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted in loaf registers 160 degrees, 25 to 30 minutes, brushing halfway through with remaining sauce.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, cover potatoes with cold salted water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, and cook until potatoes are easily pierced with a knife, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain; return to pan. Stir over medium until a starchy film forms on bottom of pan, about 1 minute. Remove from heat; mash with buttermilk until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- While potatoes cook, set a steamer basket in a saucepan filled with one inch water; bring to a gentle boil. Add green beans; cover, and cook until crisp-tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; add oil, season with salt and pepper, and toss. Serve meatloaf with mashed potatoes and green beans.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.