Chocolate Whole-Wheat Biscuit Cake
This no-bake chocolate cake is dense with dried cherries, chopped walnuts, and crumbled whole-wheat biscuit cookies.
Photography: RICHARD GERHARD JUNG
Martha Stewart Living, January 2002
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, plus more for pan
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup superfine sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon water
- 1/2 tablespoon rum (optional)
- One 8 1/2-ounce box whole-wheat biscuit cookies (wheatmeal biscuits or Carr's Wheatolo English Biscuits), coarsely crumbled
- 2 ounces (about 1/2 cup) walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 ounces (about 1/3 cup packed) dried sour cherries, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped (optional)
- Lightly butter an 8-by-2-inch spring-form pan; set aside. In a medium bowl, combine chocolate and butter. Place bowl on top of a saucepan filled with 1 inch of simmering water. Stir mixture occasionally until melted and smooth, about 3 minutes. Remove bowl from saucepan; set aside.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together egg, sugar, and water. Place over the pot of simmering water; whisk until pale, fluffy, and thick, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove bowl from heat; whisk in chocolate and rum, if using. Let cool for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Fold crushed cookies, half the walnuts, and half the cherries into chocolate mixture. Pour into prepared pan; smooth top with a spatula. Sprinkle remaining nuts and cherries on top. Cover; chill until set, about 1 hour. Serve with whipped cream, if using.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.