This simple and delicious pizza margherita is courtesy of chef Mario Batali and can be found in his cookbook, "Italian Grill."
The Martha Stewart Show, May Spring 2008
- Mario Batali's Pizza Dough (http://www.marthastewart.com/285584/pizza-dough)
- All-purpose flour, for rolling
- 1 cup prepared tomato sauce
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 24 fresh basil leaves, torn
- Coarse sea salt
- Preheat a grill or grill pan.
- Divide dough into 4 equal pieces and shape each into a ball. Loosely cover with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap; let stand 15 minutes.
- Using a lightly floured rolling pin or your hands, stretch each ball into a 9- to 10-inch round.
- Place one round of dough directly on grill and cook until bottom is lightly browned and dry, about 2 minutes. Using tongs, gently turn dough and cook for 30 seconds more. Transfer to baking sheet, browned side down, and set aside. Repeat process with remaining dough.
- Divide sauce evenly between pizzas spreading to within 1/2 inch of the edges of the dough. Top with cheese.
- Working with 1 or 2 pizzas at a time, place on grill and cook until cheese is melted and bottom is golden brown and crisp, about 2 minutes. Repeat process with remaining pizzas. Transfer pizzas to a cutting board and drizzle with olive oil. Scatter basil leaves over each pizza and sprinkle with salt. Cut using a pizza wheel and serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.