Nobu's Eggplant with Miso
Martha Stewart Living, March 2000
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- Canola oil, for frying
- 4 Japanese eggplant (about 6 ounces each), halved lengthwise with flesh side scored in a cross-hatch pattern
- 1 cup Den Miso Den Miso (http://www.marthastewart.com/281490/den-miso)
- Pickled ginger and plums, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread sesame seeds on a baking sheet. Bake until golden, about 5 minutes. Remove to a shallow dish to cool. Increase heat to broil. Line a baking sheet with paper towels; set aside.
- Heat 2 inches of oil to 360 degrees.in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan. Place eggplant in saucepan, skin side up, and cook for 1 minute. Turn, and cook for 30 seconds. Remove to paper towel-lined baking sheet to drain.
- Transfer eggplant, skin side down, to an unlined baking sheet. Spread each eggplant half with slightly more than 1 tablespoon den miso. Broil to heat through, about 30 seconds. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds, and garnish with pickled ginger and plums.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.