Top crispy pieces of Northern Fried Chicken from Bruce and Eric Bromberg's "Blue Ribbon Cookbook" with this flavorful gravy.Photo credit: Quentin Bacon
The Martha Stewart Show
- 4 cups chicken bones and wings
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups homemade Bruce and Eric Bromberg's Chicken Stock (http://www.marthastewart.com/255562/chicken-stock-recipe), or store-bought low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread chicken bones and wings on prepared baking sheet. Transfer to oven and roast until well browned, about 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, mix together butter and flour to make a paste.
- Transfer chicken bones and wings, along with any browned bits from baking sheet to a large skillet. Add stock and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat; simmer for 30 minutes.
- Strain mixture through a fine mesh sieve; discard solids. Return liquid to skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Stir in thyme. Whisk in butter mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, until sauce is thick and gravy-like. Let cook 1 to 2 minutes more. Season with salt, cover, and keep warm until ready to use.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.