Chocolate Pudding Cake with Peppermint-Mascarpone Cream
For a romantic dessert, try this decadent cake from chef Ben Ford of Ford's Filling Station.
The Martha Stewart Show, February 2010
Yield Makes one 9-inch cake
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 11 ounces dark chocolate, preferably 64 percent cacao
- 2 ounces milk chocolate
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 8 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup light-brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of coarse salt
- 1/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons crushed peppermint candies, plus 8 whole for garnish
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese, softened
- 1 cup whipped cream
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9-inch springform pan with a parchment paper round; spray with nonstick cooking spray. Wrap exterior of pan with a double layer of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Set aside.
- Melt both chocolates and butter together in a heatproof bowl set over (but not touching) simmering water; set aside to cool slightly.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg yolks, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until very thick and ribbons form; stir in vanilla, salt, and cooled chocolate.
- In the clean bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in some of the egg yolk mixture, then fold half of the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture. Fold remaining egg whites into yolk mixture.
- Pour into prepared springform pan and place it into a larger roasting pan. Add enough hot water to roasting pan to come 1 inch up sides of springform pan. Carefully transfer to oven and bake until top appears dry but inside is moist and mousse-like, 50 to 60 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, line a baking sheet with a nonstick baking mat or waxed paper. Place whole peppermint candies about 2 inches apart on baking sheet. Transfer to oven and bake until melted, about 7 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, mix together mascarpone cheese, crushed peppermint candies, and 1 tablespoon sugar. Stir in whipped cream and add remaining 2 tablespoons sugar.
- To serve, unmold cake and dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve with peppermint mascarpone cream and candy garnish.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.