This colorful salad holds some welcome surprises for an Easter celebration: avocado,
papaya, assorted greens, red onion, and a vinaigrette made with the seeds from the papaya. They add a wonderful peppery-flavored crunch to this mixed-greens salad.
Martha Stewart Living, April 1998
- 4 ounces mache roots, trimmed
- 8 ounces assorted baby lettuces, such as oak, Lolla Rossa, and bibb
- 1 bunch watercress, stems removed
- 1 large pink grapefruit
- 1 small avocado, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 red small papaya, peeled and cut in half
- Papaya Citrus Vinaigrette (http://www.marthastewart.com/256194/papaya-citrus-vinaigrette)
- 1 small red onion, skin removed and sliced into 1/8-inch-thick rounds
- Place mache, all the baby lettuces, and watercress in a large bowl, and toss to combine. Transfer to a serving platter.
- Cut both ends from the grapefruit. Starting at one cut end, slide a paring knife between the peel and the pulp, removing the entire skin and the outer membrane. Use the knife to lift out the sections. Arrange the sections down the middle of the greens in a row. Place the avocado cubes to one side of the grapefruit sections.
- Remove the seeds from the papaya, and reserve for vinaigrette. Cut papaya into 1/2-inch-thick slices, and arrange slices on other side of the grapefruit sections. Top with onion rounds. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the entire salad, and serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.