Black-Eyed Peas with Escarole, Potatoes, and Turkey Sausage
The black-eyed peas need to soak for at least six hours, so plan accordingly. Look for turkey sausage made with all-white meat. Per serving: 389 calories, 6 g fat, 68 mg cholesterol, 38 g carbs, 435 mg sodium, 48 g protein, 13 g fiber
Photography: Earl Carter
Martha Stewart Living, February 2002
- 1/2 pound black-eyed peas (1 1/4 cups), picked over and rinsed
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- Two 14 1/2-ounce cans low-sodium chicken broth, or homemade, skimmed of fat
- 2 cups water
- 1 pound small white or red potatoes
- 2 pounds turkey sausage
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/4 pound head escarole, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Place the peas in a large stockpot, and pour enough water to cover by 2 inches. Soak for at least 6 hours or overnight. Drain and rinse, and return to the pot. Add the onion, broth, and water; bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer until peas are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes in a medium saucepan, and add cold water to cover by 1 inch. Simmer until potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes. Drain and let cool, and cut into quarters.
- In a grill pan or under a broiler, cook the sausage, turning occasionally, until nicely browned and cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes. Cut into 2-inch pieces.
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook until golden. Add escarole; cook, stirring until tender, 8 to10 minutes.
- Add potatoes and escarole to black-eyed peas, and cook over medium heat until mixture returns to a simmer. Divide among six shallow soup bowls, and arrange sausage links on top. Season with the salt and pepper.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.