Alexis's Sweet Potato Pie
This scrumptious sweet-potato pie, created by Martha’s daughter, Alexis, strikes all the right balances: Its consistency is dense but not heavy, its flavor sweet but not saccharine, its filling smooth but still somewhat textured. When buying fresh sweet potatoes, choose small- to medium-size examples with smooth, unbruised skins.
Martha Stewart Living Television
- Yield Makes 1 nine-inch pie
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups light cream
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 Prebaked Pie Crust Prebaked Pie Crust (http://www.marthastewart.com/254672/prebaked-pie-crust)
- Whipped Cream, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pierce potatoes several times with the tines of a fork. Roast until tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, about 1 hour. Set aside to cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, peel, discarding skins, and place flesh in a medium bowl. Mash well; set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, lemon zest, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and salt, until well combined. Whisk in cream.
- Add egg mixture to cooled sweet potatoes, and whisk until thoroughly combined. Whisk in melted butter. Pour into baked crust. Bake until filling is set and the tip of a knife comes out clean when inserted into the center, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool completely before slicing. Serve topped with whipped cream.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.