Everyday Food, January/February 2003
- Prep Time 45 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour
- Serves 4
- 8 bone-in skinless chicken thighs (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 3 carrots (about 1/2 pound), cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 can whole tomatoes (14 1/2 ounces), drained
- 1 can chickpeas (15 1/2 ounces), drained and rinsed
- 1 3/4 cups chicken stock, or reduced-sodium canned broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 zucchini (about 1 pound), halved crosswise and quartered lengthwise
- In a Dutch oven, combine chicken, carrots, onions, tomatoes, chickpeas, stock, 3/4 cup water, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Use a wooden spoon to break up tomatoes.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cover, and cook for 15 minutes. Add zucchini, and cook until chicken is cooked through yet still tender, about 15 minutes more.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.