- Two 8- to 10-ounce top loin boneless strip steaks, cut 1-inch thick, at room temperature
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- Mustard Cream Sauce (http://www.marthastewart.com/255016/mustard-cream-sauce)
- Red Wine-Shallot Sauce (http://www.marthastewart.com/255102/red-wine-shallot-sauce)
- Balsamic Vinegar Sauce (http://www.marthastewart.com/256489/balsamic-vinegar-sauce)
- Heat a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over high heat until very hot. Season steaks on both sides with salt and pepper. Add 1/2 teaspoon butter to one side of pan, and immediately place steak on top; repeat with remaining butter and steak. Do not move meat. Turn after 2 minutes, and cook until an instant-read thermometer reaches 125 degrees for medium-rare or 130 degrees for medium.
- Transfer steaks to warmed plates to rest; reserve skillet for pan sauce, if desired.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.