Martha Stewart Living, December 2003
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour
- Yield Makes one 6-inch cake
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
- 1 cup sifted cake flour, (not self-rising), plus more for pan
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 1 very ripe large banana, mashed (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup firmly packed dark-brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinammon
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted pecans
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Sweetened whipped cream, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 6-by-2-inch round cake pan. Line bottom with parchment paper; butter, and dust with flour. Set aside. Into a bowl, sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and cloves. In another bowl, whisk banana, buttermilk, and vanilla.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Add flour mixture in two batches, alternating with banana mixture. Stir in pecans. Pour into pan; bake until golden brown, about 45 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes. Run a knife around edge; invert onto a wire rack. Reinvert cake; let cool. Dust with confectioners' sugar, and serve with whipped cream if desired.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.