Mashed Carrots with Honey and Chili Powder
Carrots, steamed and mashed, make a simple side dish that goes well with seared steak, roast beef, or barbecued ribs. A spoonful of butter and honey brings out the sweetness in the carrots, and the chili powder adds dimension.
Everyday Food, October 2010
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, halved lengthwise (if large) and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- Set a steamer basket in a saucepan over 2 inches simmering water. Add carrots; cover and steam until very tender, about 25 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher. Stir in butter, honey, and chili powder; season with salt and pepper.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.