To store, cool jam completely before ladling it into clean glass jars. Refrigerate up to one month.
Everyday Food, July/August 2004
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
Yield Makes 2 1/2 cups
- 1 1/2 pounds peaches
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup dried cherries
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Peel, pit, and cut peaches into 1/2-inch chunks; set aside. Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion until soft, 5 minutes. Add garlic and red-pepper flakes; cook 1 minute.
- Stir in vinegar, sugar, and cherries; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer until syrupy, about 5 minutes.
- Add peaches; simmer until soft, 5 to 10 minutes. With a wooden spoon, mash some peaches against side of pan; thin with 2 to 4 tablespoons water, if needed. Cool completely. Serve with grilled meat or poultry.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.