Rice Salad with Lemon, Dill, and Red Onion
Martha Stewart Living, May 2002
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt, plus more for cooking water
- 1 cup white long-grain rice
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice, (1 lemon)
- 2 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh dill
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- Bring a medium saucepan three-quarters full of water to a boil; add salt. Stir in rice, and return water to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer; cook uncovered until rice is tender, about 14 minutes. Drain rice in a sieve, and transfer to a medium bowl.
- Meanwhile, mix together red onion and vinegar in a small bowl. Let sit 5 minutes; strain onion in a sieve, discarding vinegar. Place lemon juice, oil, garlic, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and the pepper in another small bowl, and whisk to combine.
- Drizzle lemon mixture over hot rice. Add reserved onion, dill, and lemon zest; toss to combine. Serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.